Potential for distinguished national and international professional achievement is the principal criterion for admission to the Global Master of Public Policy (Global MPP) program. In assessing an application, the admission committee evaluates:
- Past performance as evidenced by work experience and professional achievements
- Future promise as indicated by recommendations and support from sponsoring organizations
- Commitment to career goals, as demonstrated particularly in the statement of purpose.
In general, successful applicants will have 5 or more years of work experience, increasing professional work responsibilities, and demonstrated promise to make a difference in their current organization and anticipated future assignments.
Who Should Apply
- Individuals with 5 or more years of experience in government, private, public or nonprofit sector who are seeking to play leadership roles in their organizations and substantive policy communities
- Individuals interested in public policy in Greater China and the Pacific Rim
- Must hold a U.S. bachelor's degree or equivalent, as evaluated by the USC Office of Graduate & International Admission. The university must be recognized by the appropriate governmental ministry as a degree-granting institution.
- We expect that candidates will have a minimum of five years of professional experience. In exceptional cases we will consider a prospective student’s demonstrated leadership and potential as a substitute for years of experience.
- A TOEFL IBT score of 100 with no less than a 20 in each section or an IELTS score of 7 with no less than 6 on each band score. The TOEFL requirement is waived for students who have graduated from an accredited, English-language bachelor degree program.
Estimated Cost of Living for Residential Sessions
Approximately, US $67,000. Scholarships are available.
- USC-HKU Graduate Application
- US $90 application fee
- Current résumé
- Official transcripts from universities from which you received a bachelor’s or post-graduate (e.g., Masters, PhD) degree. To expedite the processing of your application, please send all transcripts directly to USC-HKU Recruitment and Admissions. If possible, print, complete and sign the transcript request form for each transcript, and ask the registrar of each institution to attach it to your official transcript.
Note: For international students, official transcripts indicating the award of all degrees with the title and date conferred in the applicant’s native language and an exact translation into English of each document are required.
(Acceptance of e-transcripts to be confirmed)
- Two letters of recommendation from people who can speak best to your professional experience and accomplishments, including one from a representative of the organization sponsoring you if you are sponsored.
Please note: Letters of recommendation must be submitted through the online application system. Letters of recommendation through postal mail will not be accepted.
- A statement of purpose of approximately 1,000 words addressing the following questions:
- Why are you interested in pursuing the Global Master of Public Policy (Global MPP) degree?
- How will a Global MPP degree affect or enhance your career aspirations and goals?
The statement of purpose should be uploaded directly to the online application system.
- Completed Scholarship Application Form (If you are applying for a scholarship)
- A financial guarantee statement showing proof of the ability to pay all tuition and living expenses (Applicable to international students only)