The USC-HKU Master of Global Public Policy (MGPP) offers a rigorous and innovative look at increasingly complex policy issues that policy leaders face in today’s fast-changing global economy with special attention to issues in Greater China that have global resonance. The MGPP curriculum weaves together a full spectrum of analytical competencies, a set of core orientations that focus on attaining social impact through innovative policy solutions straddling the public-private divides, and a solid body of knowledge in and of policy themes that are of significance in both China and globally.
Five Curricular Themes
- Climate Change Environmental Sustainability
Water governance, domestic waste management, forestry, and property rights issues
Housing, labor markets, migration, and health
- Social Justice
Social cohesion and poverty alleviation
- Global Development
Sustainable and equitable growth, trade, and migration
- Global Growth and Fiscal Stability
Taxes, ageing, health, and pensions
The USC-HKU Master of Global Public Policy (MGPP) is designed for professionals in public, private and social sectors around the world who have substantial experience in relevant professions and are eager to understand and creatively solve complex policy problems. The comprehensive and rigorous curriculum responds to a growing recognition of the crucial importance of sound public policies at local, national and international levels. It also situates public policy in a broader context to include effective public sector interventions and collaboration with businesses, nonprofits, and civil society.
Through this program, we aim to:
- enhance the capacity of students in navigating the increasingly globalized and complex policy world;
- extend students’ knowledge of current policy issues across sectors in local, regional and global contexts confronting policy leaders, and to create positive changes in the sector through policy advocacy and other strategic actions;
- prepare students to synthesize academic rigor of policy studies and evidence-based policy practices, solid training in analytical skills, and an emphasis on social innovation and impact to achieve more effective leadership for public policy;
- nurture students to become all-around policy entrepreneurs in developing and implementing evidence-based policies that are socially inclusive, context sensitive, economically efficient, environmentally sustainable and institutionally feasible; and
- empower students to reflect upon key policy problems facing their organizations and to apply analytic competencies to help organizations position themselves in the complex policy world.
The curriculum will be delivered in an executive-mode, completed in 15 months via intensive face-to-face modules in Hong Kong and Los Angeles and supported by online learning. Residential sessions in LA and HK/Mainland China spread over 15 months will be arranged for direct instructional lecture, with 40% of the coursework offered online.
- 15 months of full-time study
- 10 compulsory courses and 1 capstone project
- Four in-person residential sessions in LA and HK/Mainland China spread over 15 months
Fall: Beijing and Shanghai
- Overlapping cohorts for incoming and outgoing students
- Los Angeles: June 5 – 10, 2017
- Beijing: August 28 – September 2, 2017
- Shanghai: December 4 – 9, 2017
- Hong Kong: March 5 – 10, 2018
- Los Angeles: June 8 – 13, 2018