The USC-HKU Global Master of Public Policy (Global MPP) offers a rigorous and innovative look at increasingly complex policy issues that leaders face in today’s fast-changing global economy with special attention to issues in the Pacific Rim that have global resonance. The Global MPP curriculum weaves together a full spectrum of analytical competencies, a set of core orientations that focus on attaining social impact through innovative policy solutions and a deep understanding of policy themes that are of global significance.
Five Curricular Themes
- Climate Change Environmental Sustainability
Water governance, domestic waste management, forestry, and property rights issues
Housing, labor markets, migration, and health
- Social Justice
Social cohesion and poverty alleviation
- Global Development
Sustainable and equitable growth, trade, and migration
- Global Growth and Fiscal Stability
Taxes, ageing, health, and pensions
The USC-HKU Global Master of Public Policy (Global MPP) is designed for professionals in public, private and social sectors around the world who have substantial experience in relevant professions and are eager to understand and creatively solve complex policy problems. The comprehensive and rigorous curriculum responds to a growing recognition of the crucial importance of sound public policies at local, national and international levels. It also situates public policy in a broader context to include effective public sector interventions and collaboration with businesses, nonprofits, and civil society.
Through this program, we aim to:
- enhance the capacity of students in navigating the increasingly globalized and complex policy world;
- extend students’ knowledge of current policy issues across sectors in local, regional and global contexts confronting policy leaders, and to create positive changes in the sector through policy advocacy and other strategic actions;
- prepare students to synthesize academic rigor of policy studies and evidence-based policy practices, solid training in analytical skills, and an emphasis on social innovation and impact to achieve more effective leadership for public policy;
- nurture students to become all-around policy entrepreneurs in developing and implementing evidence-based policies that are socially inclusive, context sensitive, economically efficient, environmentally sustainable and institutionally feasible; and
- empower students to reflect upon key policy problems facing their organizations and to apply analytic competencies to help organizations position themselves in the complex policy world.
The Global MPP degree is an accelerated degree program for working executives from the private, public and nonprofit sectors. The program allows executives to continue working while completing their degree.
More than half of the instruction takes place in-person during five, one-week global residences. The residences combine classroom instruction with site visits to learn from high-level leaders who are innovating solutions to global policy challenges. The 2017-2018 residences will be held in Los Angeles, Hong Kong, Shanghai and Beijing.
Students continue learning with their cohort between the residences in online classes, working collaboratively on group projects.
- 15–months of full-time study
- 10–compulsory courses and 1–capstone project
- Five in-person residential sessions in Los Angeles and Hong Kong and mainland China
- Overlapping cohorts for incoming and outgoing students
2017–2018 Residencies Schedule:
- Los Angeles: June 2 – 9, 2017
- Shanghai: August 27 – September 2, 2017
- Beijing: December 3 – 9, 2017
- Hong Kong: March 11 – 17, 2018
- Los Angeles: June 2 – 8, 2018